Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weather on Google Calendar

From Richard Byrne's post at Free Technology for TeacherMy 4th Grade Science Project Comes to Google Calendar When I was in the fourth grade in 1988 my teacher (I'm sorry, I don't remember your name anymore) had us write down the weather report on index cards for a couple of weeks. At the end of those two weeks, we looked at the almanac from the previous year and made predictions for the next week based on our index card data and almanac data. Twenty one years later students don't have to use index cards to record each day's weather data, they can use Google Calendar to do it. The video below, from Tekzilla, shows you how to get the weather in Google Calendar.

Applications for Education
In 1988 my classmates and I were limited to using local weather data for our forecasting project. Today, students can find data from anywhere in the world and make forecasts for any place in the world. To bring my 1988 project further into the 21st century teachers may want to try to connect their classroom with one in another part of the world and have students compare forecasts and climates.

No comments: