Saturday, May 16, 2009

Gail Braddock_GCT reflection

FINAL GCT REFLECTION

Professional Development Activities

Workshop: HOT (Hooked on Technology sessions) for MAIS-TEC Memphis Association of Independent Schools

Event: Calendar for MAIS-TEC HOT sessions

Date of Event: January 20 – March 5, 2009

Number of participants: 25

URL: http://sites.google.com/site/maistechot09

Presenters will use Google Doc- Forms to propose sessions. Scheduling will take place by using Google Calendar which will be embedded in a Google Site. Which will have directions to various schools using Google maps.Presents will make a Google form available to evaluate each session. This will help the committee tally attendance and effectiveness of each session. At least 30 sessions will be offered over the 8 weeks that have been set aside for professional development focusing on technology by the Memphis Association of Independent Schools (27 member schools) Area educators will be pedagogically be using Google tools without really knowing. This will help spread the Google message by modeling use of Google tools in the everyday world of education. They will be eager to know how to use these tools in their schools.

Site: http://sites.google.com/site/maistechot09/ (ex. Feb 09) Presenters will use Google Doc- Forms to propose sessions. Scheduling will take place by using Google Calendar which will be embedded in a Google Site. Which will have directions to various schools using Google maps.Presents will make a Google form available to evaluate each session. This will help the committee tally attendance and effectiveness of each session. At least 30 sessions will be offered over the 8 weeks that have been set aside for professional development focusing on technology by the Memphis Association of Independent Schools (27 member schools) Area educators will be pedagogically be using Google tools without really knowing.

Impact was over 500 tech users during those 9 weeks


Workshop: HOT sessions (see above)


Event: Hooked on Technology

Date of Events: Jan 16, Jan 26, Feb 2, Feb 24, 2009

Number of participants: 50

URL: http://sites.google.com/site/techforlote/Home

Google for Educators (as part of the Activity#2 HOT sessions) Using the Google Tools that I have learned, I will showcase Google docs presentation, and include iGoogle, calendar, blogger. Then the session on February 24 will focus on Google Earth

Train the trainers model for a hands on workshop

http://gbraddock.wikispaces.com


Blog: Wings to Fly

Number of viewers: Unlimited

URL: http://lgbraddock.blogspot.com

Started and am maintaining a blog entitled "Wings to Fly" for all the teachers and tech coordinators in my school system and other educators in the area who learn about it through my PLN and Google workshop attendees. The content will include a wide range of effective strategies and practical classroom resources for digital tools.


Summary

The first thing that I tackled after attended Google Academy was to revamp out MAIS-TEC HOT sessions, by providing more outline resources. I received a big thank you from the teachers in the 27 area independent schools for putting out a Google Calendar on a Google site. They learned how to use the Google calendar to register and remind attendees about the workshops.

I was the January speaker at Memphis Association of Independent Schools Technology Consortium meeting. Kicking off session that I lead on Google Tools for teachers, Google Earth and Managing your PLN. Also I starting telling that group to pass the work that I had an ed tech blog to follow.

As a result of increasing my exposure as a Google-trained teacher in the West Tennessee area. I was approached about presenting to the Shelby County Public School System: Google in Education session to all the GCC in Shelby County Schools Hands on session resources were placed on http://gbraddock.wikispaces.com

5/5/2009 30 attendees but impact immeasurable because these are the technology trainers for Shelby County school district is the fourth largest school system in Tennessee with a population of over 48,000 students. They were so eager to learn that this turned out to be a 3 hour session!


Impact of these activities on teachers and students

The technology educators that I stood before at each workshop, felt like they had someone telling the "inside tips" about how to use Google tools effectively. Every time I reinforced to them that my goal was to help each one of them take away "one thing" that they could implement immediately. At the end of each session, every attendee might have felt a bit overwhelmed, but they meet that goal. I felt like a Google evangelist.

Challenges I faced

I did not really face any major challenge while presenting the workshops
or creating
the blog. I one Google Earth session, not all the teachers had the newest version of GE. She was very dissatisfied even though I had sent her email reminders via Google Calendar to come with the latest version. She was embarrassed when I handed her one of the prepared computers from the school's cart.

At one school, I some of the resources were blocked on their network. It was a blessing that I had uploaded my documents to Google Docs and could use the presentation tools there. By the way. we could not collaborate via Google presentations that was blocked. What a disappointment!

Impact on my personal growth

Attending the GTA was just the beginning of a journey. I have definately expanded my PLN. I am know more as a resource for professional development. I had a inviation to train trainers in May and have 2 more opportunitis in July. All the while, I struggle to keep up and be in the know with the constantly changing Google tools. Thank goodness, I have other Google educator on the look out with implementation of the new tools and their posting to our Google Group.

I know that I will continue to be more enthusiastic to share with my expanded PLN. I have found so much strength in those relationships.

You much know that after over 30 years in education, I just got my Master's in Tech Education in March '07. I "retired" from my previous job in May '08. Then started a new job with a new school system in August '09. I tried three times to become a GCT. This experience has afforded to to have more credibility with my new school system and more confidence in the tools I have "under my belt." I know I am not an expert, by any means, but I find new excitement as a life-long learner. I graduated in the 1970's, but really "get" what it takes to be a 21st century learner!

Ideas for the future

I would like see a "Google Academy" in the Memphis, TN area. Teachers and university faculty are eager to learn these valuable tools.

I also hope that my blog continues to impact teachers. I haven't gotten much feedback about it, but I will continue to promote it.

Because of limited time at school and home, I haven't had the time, but I want to move some of my training documents to Google Sites. Also, I want my school to start using Google Apps for Education!

No comments: